Griffith East Public School logo

Griffith East Public School

Griffith East Public School

Excellence, Innovation and Inclusion

Telephone02 6962 1804

Parents, carers and the community

As a parent or carer, you are an important part of our school community. We offer a range of services to support you and your family.

Parents and Citizens’ Association (P&C)

Our Parents and Citizens’ Association (P&C) is made up of parents and carers, teachers and community members. The P&C meets regularly to contribute to decision-making, developing policies and management plans as well as fundraising.

Counselling for families

The school counsellor can assist when families undergo a trauma or big change. Contact us to make an appointment. For information in community languages, see school counselling service.

Outside of the education system, free telephone counselling services are available to support families who may be going through a difficult time.

  • Lifeline – 24-hour telephone counselling service. 13 11 14.
  • Mensline Australia – 24-hour telephone counselling service for men. 1300 789 978.
  • Parent line – an advice and information service. 1300 1300 52.

School counsellor

Our School Counsellor provides an ongoing counselling service available for all students. During the time your child is in primary school, he or she may come into contact with our Counsellor as a result of a class teacher’s referral or at the request of a parent. This referral is for the purpose of gathering information to assist with a child’s development.

Parents are contacted prior to the child seeing the counsellor and a written consent form will be completed. Parents will be invited to attend an interview following any such assessment. The service offered by our School Counsellor is also available directly to parents who would like assistance with a child’s learning or behavioural problems. Appointments can be made by contacting our school office.

The School Counsellor is a trained teacher and a registered psychologist.

Interpreting and translations

We will help you communicate with our school. If you’d like an interpreter for a school meeting, let us know and we will arrange one, if available.

If you don’t speak or understand English well and want to contact us, call TIS National on 131 450 and ask for an interpreter in your language. The operator will call the school and get an interpreter to help. This service is free.

For more information, listen in your language.

Visit the department’s translated documents section for important information that’s relevant for your child’s education in many languages.

Family law

Sadly sometimes relationships break down and the court makes orders regarding  the contact parents can have with their children or the role they play in making decisions about their children’s education.  These can be Family Court Orders or Apprehended Violence Orders. Parents can also reach agreement about issues such as contact in a parenting plan.

If this happens it is important that you provide the school with a copy of any court orders or plan that could impact on your child’s education.

In the absence of any notification to the contrary, the school will assume that both parents continue to retain a shared and equal parental responsibility for their children and should be involved in making any decisions regarding their children’s education.

This means that the school will recognise that each parent has equal duties, obligations, responsibilities and opportunities in relation to matters involving the school.

If any changes occur in your family relationships which have the potential to impact on the relationship between the school and your family, please advise the school immediately and provide a copy of any court orders that may be obtained.

These orders will be stored securely and only accessed by staff who need to see them in order to plan for your children’s learning and support and related issues.